WASHINGTON, D.C. — As anticipation builds for UFC Freedom 250 on the South Lawn of the White House, organizers and federal officials are keeping a close eye on the weather.
While UFC CEO Dana White remains adamant that Sunday’s historic event will proceed regardless of conditions, the U.S. Secret Service has confirmed that extensive contingency plans are in place should severe weather threaten the festivities.
With President Donald Trump expected to attend the event, security and emergency management agencies are coordinating closely to monitor potential storms, lightning, and other weather-related concerns throughout the day.
The Secret Service confirmed that weather experts will be stationed on-site throughout the event. According to Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi, meteorologists from both the federal government and the UFC will provide real-time updates as conditions evolve.
“We also have the DC Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management that are in real-time coordination with us and the federal partners,” Guglielmi told USA TODAY.
Officials indicated that weather preparation plans for UFC Freedom 250 are similar to those used during major public events in Washington, including Independence Day celebrations on the National Mall.
Storms Remain a Possibility
Forecasters continue to monitor the potential for severe weather in the Washington, D.C. area. National Weather Service meteorologist Kyle Pallozzi noted that damaging winds remain the primary concern heading into Sunday’s event.
Current forecasts include:
- 30% chance of damaging winds
- 5% chance of hail
- 2% chance of tornado activity
“It’s the lowest level they can outlook for a tornado and then also the lowest level they can outlook for hail,” Pallozzi explained. “So definitely primary threats are damaging winds.”
The region has already experienced thunderstorms throughout the weekend, adding another layer of uncertainty to the outdoor event.
Lightning Already Impacted Fight Week
Weather disruptions have already affected UFC Freedom 250 festivities. On Friday evening, the UFC was forced to delay its ceremonial press conference at the Lincoln Memorial after lightning strikes were reported nearby.
The delay served as a reminder that Mother Nature remains one of the few variables organizers cannot control. Should lightning become a factor Sunday night, temporary delays remain a possibility as officials prioritize safety for athletes, spectators, and dignitaries in attendance.
Dana White Refuses to Back Down
Despite the concerns, White has repeatedly stated that the UFC has no plans to cancel or postpone the event. The longtime UFC president has embraced the challenge of hosting one of the most ambitious cards in company history and insists weather will not derail the promotion’s plans.
“Listen, the show goes on on Sunday,” White said. “No matter what happens.”
White has previously acknowledged concerns surrounding rain, lightning, and insects but remains confident that any issues can be managed.
Bill Haney Says Shakur Stevenson Fight Remains Top Priority for Devin Haney
Welcome to Dice City Sports — where we provide premium, exclusive, up-to-date news and analysis surrounding the Las Vegas sports scene. Follow along on social media, and check back for new articles daily!
Robert LaMar is a Deputy Editor for Dice City Sports. You can follow him on X via @RobertLaMar26
