© Sam Navarro-Imagn Images
Jake Paul says his boxing career is far from over after receiving encouraging medical news regarding the devastating jaw injury he suffered against Anthony Joshua.
Just days after revealing he feared he may never fight again, Paul announced Saturday night that doctors have cleared him to resume sparring within the next few months. “Everything is healing perfectly,” Paul said during the Netflix broadcast for Rousey vs. Carano.“… I’m back.”
Paul suffered the first stoppage loss of his professional boxing career last December when Joshua knocked him out in the sixth round of their blockbuster heavyweight showdown.
The defeat came with serious consequences.
According to Paul:
- His jaw was broken in two places
- He underwent surgery the day after the fight
- He later required a second operation in February
- Plates and screws from the first procedure reportedly came loose
The injuries sparked major concern about whether Paul would ever return to competitive boxing. Earlier this week, Paul admitted retirement had crossed his mind because of the complications.
No Opponent Named Yet
While Paul confirmed he’s been medically cleared to resume training in approximately 2-3 months, he stopped short of naming a comeback opponent or target date. “There’s a long list of opponents out there,” Paul said. “Just gonna get slowly back into training and figure out when I’m gonna make that return.”
Potential future opponents that continue to circulate around Paul include:
- Conor McGregor
- Tommy Fury
- KSI
- Francis Ngannou
MVP Continues Expanding Despite Setback
Even while recovering, Paul has remained heavily involved with Most Valuable Promotions, which officially launched its MMA division Saturday night with the successful Netflix event headlined by Ronda Rousey vs. Gina Carano.
Paul also spent much of the evening taking verbal shots at the UFC and Dana White while discussing future crossover opportunities involving:
- Jon Jones
- Francis Ngannou
- McGregor
Now, with his recovery reportedly progressing well, Paul appears ready to eventually step back into the ring himself.
Taron Johnson Seeking Contract Security After Trade To Raiders
Welcome to Dice City Sports — where we provide premium, exclusive, up-to-date news and analysis surrounding the Las Vegas sports scene. Follow along on social media, and check back for new articles daily!
Robert LaMar is a Deputy Editor for Dice City Sports. You can follow him on X via @RobertLaMar26